Monday, August 21, 2006

The Day The World Stopped


It was early in the morning. I had just gotten out of the shower. My phone rang.

"Jaimie, where's David?" It was my then-husband's father.

"In the shower. Why?"

"Jaimie, they just hit the World Trade Center with an airplane."

Here was a man who had no fear.

A man who raised his children in the projects of New York.

A man who used to run a numbers running joint in the back of his liquor store.

A man who sounded terrified.

We hung up the phone.

David got out of the shower. We watched the second plane hit Tower 2 on television, not believing what we were seeing.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" he yelled.

"Come on, we gotta go to work," I told him.

I was 5 months pregnant, and for some unknown reason, I didn't have morning sickness this day.

We got into the car and tuned to the talk radio. And then we heard it.

The buildings fell.

"No!!!" David screamed.

"It's okay," I told him. "We saw the people leaving the building. They probably all got out."

"Impossible," he said. "They're dead. All dead."

When I got to work, we were walking our classes down the hall like zombies. Only half of my class was there that day, and those that were there had a lot of questions.

How do you explain to 5 year olds why thousands of people died right before their eyes?

Where Were You On September 11, 2001?

Posted by Jaimie :: 7:44 PM :: 15 Peeked Into My Diary:

.:Write In My Diary:.

---------------oOo---------------


© The Diary of Jaimie 2005 - Template by Caz.