Saturday, February 11, 2006

Our Eyes Were Watching God




In high school, I read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston. Actually, I was forced to read it in Honors English class.

My girlfriends and I made fun of the book. We made fun of the old Southern dialect. We didn't understand it. We didn't understand the main character, Janie, and all of her "man" problems. We were high school girls in California, with popular football-playing boyfriends.

Now, as an adult, I'm reading the book again. Loving the book, actually. Relating to Janie in ways I never could before.

One night, I was too tired to read the book. I wanted to, but I couldn't keep my eyes open. I called James into the room.

"Will you read to me?" I asked.

"What do you want me to read?" he asked.

"Their Eyes Were Watching God."

He opened the book and began reading. He read to me about Tea Cake and Janie, about the one who finally loved her for who she was, and not for what she could bring to him. I fell asleep to James reading one of my favorite books to me, a book that I at first could not understand, and a book that I now consider an American classic.

What Is Your Favorite Book?


Posted by Jaimie :: 6:11 PM :: 30 Peeked Into My Diary:

.:Write In My Diary:.

---------------oOo---------------


© The Diary of Jaimie 2005 - Template by Caz.