Monday, November 07, 2005

The Gaye Man in My Life


I met Luke at UCLA. He had tried to commit suicide twice, so his mom thought it might be a good idea for him to spend time behind locked doors with sharp sedative needles.

Before Luke was released from his one month stay at UCLA, he wrote his phone number and address on the large chalk board located in the group therapy room. "Ooh!" one of the girls exclaimed. "He's so hot. I'm definitely calling him when I get out of here." All the girls sat in front of the chalk board and wrote his phone number down.

Two weeks after I was back home I called Luke.

me: Hi, Luke?

Luke: Who is this?

me: Jaimie.

Luke: What the hell do you want?

me: I was just calling to say hi...to see how you're doing...

Luke: I'm perfect. How did you get my number?

me: Uh, you wrote it down on the chalk board in the group therapy room.

Luke: Oh, yeah. Hey, weren't you in there for stalking your boyfriend or something?

me: I didn't stalk my boyfriend!! He just-

Luke: Whatever...so, you wanna come over sometime?

I was at Luke's house the next weekend. I don't even think he said 10 words to me. We spent most of the time in his room, staring at the walls. After two hours I said, "Well, it's been fun, but I gotta go." "I'll walk you out," he answered.

Downstairs his mom was waiting, beaming huge smiles at me. "Hi, Jaimie. I'm Luke's mom," she said, reaching her hand out to me. "We're so happy you're here. Luke hasn't had a girlfriend in so long."

"She's not my girlfriend." Luke said abruptly. I wanted to crawl away, but instead I turned red.

"Annywayyy..." Luke's mom dragged out, giving him an evil look, "There's a party next week, and we would love for you to come. We'll pick you up at 8!" Luke made stabbing motions towards his mom's head behind her back. I answered, "Sure, I'd love to come."

Luke and his mom were at my house a week later to pick me up. Luke rolled his eyes at me. "You can at least say hi," Luke's mom said, poking him in the side. "Hi," he grumbled.

Once we reached the party Luke disappeared. I sat alone in a chair, outside, watching people dance on the patio. Every now and then Luke would pop his head outside the door to sneak a peek at me to make sure I hadn't left. Finally, he came and sat down next to me.

We sat silently for about five minutes. Suddenly, the dj changed the tempo of the music. Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" began playing. "Do you like this song?" Luke asked. "Yeah," I said, looking longingly at the dance floor. "I guess I'll dance with you then," he said.

Luke and I danced together to Mr. Gaye. He held me close, but didn't say a word. We danced through the entire song, moving together to the music. I happened to look to the side of the patio and saw Luke's mom practically jumping up and down with excitement.

Once the song ended, Luke dropped my hands. "It's time for us to go now," he said. "Ok," I answered.

Luke, his mom, and I rode home in silence. When we reached my house, I opened the car door. I said thank you to his mom and told Luke goodbye. I was halfway up my walkway when I heard him call me name.

"Hey Jaimie!"
"Yeah?"
"I had fun." I waved goodbye at him, and he waved back.

I never saw Luke again. But he began my romance with a Gaye man. Marvin Gaye, that is.

Posted by Jaimie :: 9:23 PM :: 9 Peeked Into My Diary:

.:Write In My Diary:.

---------------oOo---------------


© The Diary of Jaimie 2005 - Template by Caz.